Monday, December 14, 2009

Resilience

I think the best way to prepare teachers for the stresses related to teaching is through exposure and practice. I have taken three instrumental courses so far and the most effective of these has been the Double Reeds course. Of the three, this course offered me the most practical experience. Each student is required to teach one lesson during class time. While the student teaches, all the other students pretend they're fifth graders and make common mistakes for the practicing teacher to correct. Each student is also required to give a ten minute lesson of the instrument upon completion of the unit to an outside student. This means we taught both a beginning oboe and bassoon lesson.

I feel like many teachers quit within the first three years because they did not fully know what they were getting into. They did not get exposed to the future problems while they were in college and were therefore not prepared for them. I feel the J-term observation course is a very good step to give real-life experience. It is good to start this kind of process early in college to decide if teaching is really the career you want to pursue. I know people who took a J-term observation course and decided it was not what they wanted to do. Although I do not have to take this course until my junior year I am choosing to also observe this year to try and get as much exposure and experience as I can. I have not decided what age group I would like to teach yet, so I am hoping several J-term experiences in different setting will help my narrow my path. If I realize I can't stand elementary kids after three weeks, then I know general elementary music is not the place for me. But maybe I'll fall in love with elementary music in J-term. Both realizations are valuable. I am also thinking about applying as a counselor for Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. I have experience as a camp counselor, but working at a fine arts camp would be even more beneficial to a music education career.

While in teaching it is important to save things to remind you of your accomplishments. These pick-me-ups will help you when you're feeling stuck-in-a-rut. I know my choir teacher had a "happy box" where she saved things to remind herself why she was in education. It might be helpful to display inspiring quotes or accomplishments of your students in your office. It is also good to seek out a mentor from who you can seek advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment