Monday, December 14, 2009

Humility

Admitting you're wrong about something is not always easy to do. This is especially true in an argument or debate. I feel it is easier to admit I'm wrong over something that is factual rather than in a debate. For example, when working on an assignment with someone it is easy for me to admit I did the problem wrong and work to fix it. However, if I am debating with someone about something a little more controversial I have a hard time admitting I'm wrong. I was just talking with someone about the issue of separation of church and state and I was getting so fired up that I would not admit that I had the slightest chance of being wrong about my stance. He made the point that I wasn't even really listening to his argument and then gave another example. I really tried to listen with open mind and it made sense to me. I did not admit I was wrong, but at least I actually listened to his side and allowed myself to see the validity of his point.

This is probably the most important thing about humility: an open mind. If you are able to listen with an open mind to other people's thoughts, opinions, or ideas you will gain so much more from them. For example, as a teacher I will need to collaborate with other teachers and will perhaps be on some sort of a planning committee. I need to gather everyone's input with an open mind and be humble enough to realize my ideas might not be the best for the project at hand.

In regards to student-teacher relationships, I feel it is very important to be honest with your students when you make a mistake or are wrong about something. It is better for you to admit your mistake than to try to hide it and have the students find out later. If they find out on their own you are going to lose credibility. They will always question whether you actually know what you are talking about or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment