Sunday, October 11, 2009

Role Playing

I personally enjoyed the role playing activity we engaged in about the No Child Left Behind Act. I think role playing is an excellent way to get students involved. It forces the student to look at all sides of an issue. For example, if students are forced to argue an opinion or stance that they personally don't agree with, it forces them to think differently. It can either open their mind, or it can re-solidify their own viewpoints. If a student gets to argue their personal viewpoint, it forces them to be prepared against all other arguments with a counter-argument.

Although I prefer this type of hands-on activity rather than direct lecture, I do believe I would have benefited from some background information on the No Child Left Behind Act itself. I do not know the logistics of the Act, but I have a better understanding of the controversy created by it. In regards to emotions, I believe emotional engagement is important in learning. I feel if you are personally, emotionally invested in something, it will be more interesting and you will remember it much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment