Saturday, October 31, 2009

Inventiveness

I really enjoyed watching the video clip of Ken Robinson. I really liked his message and the humor he added to it. Something that really stuck out to me was when he said, "Kids will take a chance. . . They're not afraid of being wrong. If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original." He also quoted Picasso by saying, "All children are born artists. The problem is to remain an artist as we grow up." He explained that kids end up being educated out of their creativity.

I believe this is a very important insight to education. As a student, I loved being creative (and still do). I would have much rather wrote a creative paper than a formal essay any day. One of my favorite classes for creative activity were my computer classes. We did lots of creative projects through photoshop, creating website, making medleys, and making movies. I've also always enjoyed trying to write songs. Now I have the chance to take music classes that have helped me understand the structure of music and therefore helped me learn how to better compose something. Some of our big projects are compositions. The best part of these kinds of projects is when you can look at the end result and say, "I did that. I created that." I think that's a feeling that every student should feel in school.
As a teacher, I need to encourage creativity in my classes. I need to encourage my students that it is ok to be wrong when trying something new. I can remind them that famous inventors did not get their inventions right the first time. It took many attempts, but after each attempt they learned something, and when they finally got it right, the results were amazing. I believe creativity is very important in our future. If no one was creative, there would be nothing new, nothing original. The problems that we face today would come no closer to being solved, because there would be no new creative solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment